How to make decorative mushrooms for the garden
By C S Wan
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make your own and unique
mushrooms for your garden.
|Mushrooms among the flowers|
Things you may require
1. A roll of plastic coated clothesline wire
2. White cement
3. A roll of thin wire
4. A small piece of chicken wire
5. A small piece of mesh wire
6. A pair of wire cutter
7. A pair of pliers
8. A piece of cardboard
9. Acrylic paint
Please refer to above diagrams
1. Cut four pieces of wire about 30 cm long from a plastic- coated
2. Tie together the middle of the four pieces of wire with thin
wire, leaving about 6 cm at each end untied.
3. Bend outward one end of the loose wires to form an umbrella
shape that will fit into the plate.
4. Place the bent end on a piece of chicken wire and secure it
with a thin wire.
5. Get a plastic plate/bowl, preferably one that resembles the cap
of a mushroom.
6. Place the end which is secured with chicken wire in the plate.
7. Pour in the wet white cement. Ensure it has the right
consistency. Leave it to dry.
8. Get a fairly hard cardboard ( about 18 cm in height ) and roll it
into a cylinder.
9. Insert the cylinder into the tied wires.
10. Carefully pour in the wet white cement into the cylinder.
11. When it is completely dry, bend the loose ends outward.
Remove the mushroom from the plastic plate.
12. Place the bent ends on a rectangular piece of wire mesh and
secure them with thin wire.
13. Place the secured wire mesh in a shallow cardboard box (eg.
cover of shoe-box). Pour in the wet cement. This will form the
base for the mushroom.
14. When the base is partially dry you can score it with a plastic
fork to make it look like the bark of a tree.
15. Suggestions: You can make mushrooms with different sizes
and shapes and attach them to
the same base.You can also make or buy
decorative items and attach/glue them to the
Choose the preferred colour / colours for the
mushrooms and paint them with acrylic
|A man-made frog on a big mushroom|
|Two small 'frogs' on mushrooms.|